Thursday, April 28, 2011

Goodbye Puzzle

It’s always difficult when a family member dies.

No less difficult, when an animal member of the family dies.

I went out to feed my girls today and found Puzzle, the lone Rhode Island White in my clan, dead in the coop. I don’t know how long she had been dead, I don’t know why she died. They had water and no food, but not so low on food that she would have starved to death in one day.
I went over and over in my head, trying to think of what she could have gotten into that might have not agreed with her little chicken system. Trying to think of a treat that I might have given her that wasn’t meant for chickens.


Nothing.


I guess sometimes, animals die and I suppose I could take her to the vet and have an autopsy done on her. If I had more that died or if I find another one dead in the next few days, then I will. There may be something going through my flock and I need to know about it.

So …. goodbye Puzzle. We will miss you.

No comments: