Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Still sewing

My second .. no wait ... third attempt at sewing skirts. This one is also for Ivy since Lyla is still crawling and dresses are a little difficult for babies to crawl in. I never put Felix in a dress until she could walk; same with shoes.
This is another "super easy" pattern I found for a little girl's skirt which I can actually modify to any size I need or want. This was easier than Felix's skirt due to the fact that it only had three tiers instead of five .... which was tiring.

I'm color-blind to matching colors; I have THE hardest time matching or contrasting colors. I must have missed that talent when it was being passed out. Which is why the two major colors in my closet are either black or white because I can match those colors with anything. Thomas is much better at that than I and so I leave the decorating to him.

I was nervous about picking out these colors but luckily, fabric shops are very helpful to those of us that are color-matching challenged. Colors that can go together or that can contrast each other are placed in a very helpful way, so I don't have to depend on my own judgement. And if that doesn't work, I can always ask one of the clerks who will always offer their help. Even total strangers sometimes will chime in. Thank goodness.

As a side note: I guess my sewing bug has latched on to Felix because after she arrived home from Wash DC (had a GREAT time by the way but it was SO wonderful to see her again), she wanted to sew something.

I think that's great; I think it very important to have some sort of sewing skill even if it's just the basics. It's cool to create something from a piece of material.

HOWEVER, Felix's brain works different. It works like Thomas'. She doesn't just want to sew something; she wants to make a cat. A stuffed cat. Right now. This minute. I can hear Thomas now as a child, "Ethel dear, I need two turtle doves for our Christmas pageant. Let's go."

So we race to the fabric store and she finds fur, eyes, noses, wire for the legs and extra thread. Back home we go and she THEN searches for a pattern for a cat. She finds one, but can't really figure it out for layout. I help her do that. She cuts it out (white fur is flying everywhere) but can't really figure out how to put the head together because in her excitement about sewing, she decides to pull a body pattern from one site and a head pattern from another site. So we have to figure out how to put the two together. And when I say "we" I really mean me. It is rather complicated for a person who has no lessons whatsoever so I drop my skirt project and focus on the cat.

Two days later, we finally finish this cat.


So the question is: Does my daughter, who has a vast collection of stuffed animals including several hundred cats, really NEED another stuffed cat in her room?

I guess the answer is yes, especially if she made it. And we had fun making it together ... well not at first since I was a bit exasperated with the whole Franken-kitty pattern issue but as we progressed and it started taking shape, it became an interesting project.

Wouldn't do it again, but once was an adventure. Twice is insanity.

No comments: