Thursday, May 5, 2011

Electric v manual???

I'm talking about toothbrushes.
My kids recently had their bi yearly dentist exam. For them, the dentist is not a horrible trip since they've had no cavities, just cleanings (and I certainly hope to keep it that way!). I have never been afraid of going to the dentist and have tried to instill in them the same. Perhaps it's because I've had really good visits too; one or two cavities in my adult years and no real problems. AND a good dentist is essential. Dr. Paul .... I miss YOU!!

Anyway, I have found a really good children's dentist in Everett. She has been their dentist for past four years (it took me some time to find one I liked when we first moved) and they do like her. There are some things they do hate at the dentist: they both hate the taste of the prophylaxis treatments and Robee hates the dental x-rays because he says doing the bite wings hurts his mouth. So to accommodate him, they're using the smaller bite wings. See? Wonderful dentist!

I was wondering to their dentist the difference between electric toothbrushes and manual ones (since they always get that little goodie bag with a toothbrush and floss). Is one better than the other?

She said that when kids are little and their manual dexterity is limited, electric brushes are very good in that they (the brushes) get to places their own hands cannot. Especially the ones that are a rotation type of brush. Another great thing about an electric brush is that it helps kids stay on the task of brushing; they won't get bored or just stop after 30 seconds. Many electric toothbrushes have timers on them now, timing each brushing for two minutes (recommended time for complete cleaning).

Some kids' brushes have songs on them that play for two minutes, entertaining the kids at the same time!


Let me just say this - no possible way on heaven or earth would I EVER get one of these.
I would rather jab a hot poker in my eye.

Therein lies the problem with electric brushes: they have to be powered by battery or charged on a charger.

Chargers are nice except if you are traveling for an extended period of time with no way to plug in the charger (sometimes it's hard in other parts of the world to find the same types of outlets).

Then there is the battery option but what happens to the batteries after they're done? Into the waste and there goes more into our landfills. I do believe some places have a place for battery recycling.

If you're going batteries and trying to efficient, you could also use rechargeable batteries.

However, there is still need for the use of electricity and if you're trying to keep your carbon footprint tiny, then what???

What is an environmentalist to do? It's a tough world for us, to be sure.

So what have I decided?

First of all, I believe what my dentist says that little kids have a harder time reaching those far back places. I know Mom was kind of psycho about things BUT I totally believe that one of the reasons us kids had almost no cavities as children when the rest of my friends at school were having holes filled, is because she brushed our teeth for us until we were probably six or seven or at a time when we could actually get to those places where cavities are usually found. I've told other people this and they mock her but when I tell dental friends (usually at the DHP at Weber) this story, they all nod their heads and say more parents should do this as well until the child can effectively do it themselves. The most important thing my dental friends told me is to get the plaque off the teeth; one doesn't even need toothpaste. Just brush the crap off.

And so, ingoring a page from "I'm Going To Be Different From My Mom" book, I also brushed the kids' teeth until they were about six. I let them brush too, so they could learn how do it but then I would finish.

Second, I had a REAL problem with electric toothbrushes. I felt that they were a silly purchase.Thomas was all for buying one but I resisted since I had never had one growing up or as adult. After many MANY heated debates (really?? over a toothbrush??), he finally convinced me and now I really love mine. I was so convinced I bought Felix and Robee one as well. I had a bit of a struggle talking the kids into using an electric brush, but once they tried one, they loved it. Getting them to brush twice a day is the issue! Running off to the bus, so tired at night ... they sort of let it slack off.

Third, to make up for the charging of electric toothbrushes and my guilty conscience, I do this: if I'm not charging the brush, I unplug the charger. At least then, I'm not using ghost power when it's not needed (this also applies to ANY electric device that's not being used, i.e.: blow dryers, toasters, phone chargers - I would my microwave but the plug is so out of the way to reach each time).

So, electric or manual?? In a pinch, the manual is a forever thing (the first toothbrush recorded in history was made in 3000 BC, a twig with a frayed end called a chewstick), but for daily brushing, I've been baptised and converted to electric toothbrushes.

As always, IMHO.

No comments: