Sunday, January 2, 2011

Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezing Leavenworth

Brrrrrrrr. I mean cold. It was about 14 degrees when we arrived around 3 pm on Saturday, New Year's Day. The kids were feeling happy about the ongoing growth of snow they were seeing on the sides of the road but I was still cautious because I could see a glossy sheen on said snow.

As it happened, every piece of snow was frozen solid. Like ice. Like walking big blocks of ice.

Thank goodness I keep a box of glove warmers in the car (actually I don't "keep" a box; I just was too lazy from the Lights of Warm Beach to put them away) and the kids got them in their gloves and toes of their shoes so we could walk around a bit.

Robee standing on a giant ice hill.

Felix on same hill. I wish my phone camera took photos like my little orange guy but my battery was too low to get any more .... or it froze while exposed.

My favorite place. Only because of the blue lights.

This cute little lederhosen old man played some kind of Alpine, Swedish horn at breakfast.

This horn was about 10 feet long. I'll have to look up the actual name.



The kids after breakfast, before sledding, still warm.

The sledding however, never came to be. We went to the hill and found it closed due to mechanical failure. Sad! But still, it was so cold, I don't know how long they would have lasted.

So we went back to town and decided to sled on the local "bunny" hill that the smaller kids were sledding on. HA! Bunny hill my butt.

That thing was SO icy and slick and dangerous, I was biting my cheeks the whole time watching all these kids come down it at breakneck speeds, some of them sliding over the backwash into the sidewalk and some into the parked cars (one of them was Robee by the way).

Felix, had her own mishap with a poor unfortunate soul. She was doing her first run and as she turned backwards, took out some woman feet first and dumped her to the ground. The woman laid there for about three minutes trying to get her breath back. Severed spines just waiting to happen.

So the playing in the snow and tubing was not to be this trip. We promised them a make up trip later in the month or next after this bloody cold snap left.

No comments: