Friday, May 20, 2011

Have bike, will travel

Finally. A decent day. Not just a decent day ......... but a perfectly, lovely, sunny, warm, bright, heavenly day. Thanks be to Mother Nature and all that is holy.

I'm perfectly willing to live in a place which is dominated by rain; I RARELY complain in the fall or winter. I expect rain. I'd MUCH rather have that than snow or sub-freezing temps.

However, by the middle of May I am kind of ready for a little bit of sun. Throw me a bone, a sliver of sunlight. And Thursday was that day.

Thursday is also the day I watch Owen and Ivy and I was really looking forward to NOT sitting in the house again. I love being outside when it's nice.

Anyway, since Owen is finished with school by noon, I was definitely planning to walk to his school to pick him up. BUT I wasn't too thrilled about pushing a double-stroller with a almost two year old (actually, she weighs as much as a feather) and a five year old. Been there, done that, don't really want to do that again.

My brain was thinking all Wednesday - how to get around the whole double-stroller thing. Then, I got it: lash his bike onto my stroller, push Ivy and the bike to the school then HE can ride the bike back home.

This was a great idea for several reasons: first is the obvious - no massive stroller but second, Owen LOVES to ride his bike. He's so good at it at this age that it would be a crime to not let him ride a mile home (that's how far it is to the school). And of course third, I got my two mile walk in for the day.




Time to leave. I have my map (for the life of me, even though Jen has given me several maps and directions SEVERAL times, there is no possible way I can remember how to maneuver my way through the drunken sailor streets of Pioneer Trails), his helmet, extra water, sunglasses (yeah for the sun to wear my sunglasses!!!), my stroller, Ivy of course, and Owen's bike, bungee corded to the back. I was ready.

No stroller ride with a bike lashed to the back is complete without a purse.




It wasn't all rainbows and ponies - there was a couple of times things went awry: the map flew out of my hands, I let go of the stroller and it started to tip backwards and Ivy thought that was great! I caught in time and reminded myself it was going to be top-heavy. I ran into garbage cans on the sidewalk and knocked them into the street (what the h*** are garbage cans doing on a sidewalk anyway??). I tripped twice because I couldn't see the sidewalk between the tires of the bike, but all in all it was actually a nice walk. All I could think about was how excited Owen would be to see his bike.



Pulled up to Owen's school and ................. total defeat. Owen looked at his bike and said, "Kiki, I am WAY too tired to ride a bike home. You didn't bring your truck?"



Sad for me.

Then I said, "Well, why don't we walk part way across the busy street and then see how you feel once we get to the neighborhood? Sometimes when you're too tired to walk, it's easier to ride a bike."



He was willing to try what I suggested and off we went. Got across the busy street (and WHY is there NO crosswalk on that intersection?? Un-freaking-believable) and into the nice, calm neighborhood. Owen said he had to drink something first and then he got geared up for the ride.

Yeah! Sigh of relief. It worked. We all had a great walk, got our Vitamin D allotment and enjoyed a lovely day outside.

1 comment:

Kathi and Bob said...

Fun story and yes, the sunshine was divine, maybe it will come back some day...but, you are right, we know what we get when we move here, so can't complain too much!