Sunday, February 15, 2009

Another Tournament, another can of whoop a**

We attended our last Canadian TaeKwonDo tournament on Saturday. We left about 6:30 am, thinking we would arrive before line-up.
Except that -- being female -- I forgot to pack the male support devices (ahem) absolutely NEEDED for sparring. Not only needed but required. Hey. Would the guys remember my sports bra?? Doubt it. So there is no reason I should be required to remember their protective gear.


Anyway, since we were already on the road, we decided to stop in Bellingham and hopefully find a Walmart and grab two on the way.


Couldn't find a Walmart but found a Joe's which didn't open until 8 and we were there at 7:30. So to kill some time, we found a Starbucks and grabbed our favorite Green Tea Latte and waited outside Joe's.


8:00 am and Thomas is in the store, found the stuff and we're off.


The wait at the border was quick since no one is going to Canada on Saturday; they're all coming here to shop!
Got to the tournament late anyway and missed line up because we had to register late. So there was no warming up, no stretching out, no practicing the form before our turn. Thomas, Felix and Robee were all in the first round and I was in the second, so I got to run around to three rings to watch all their forms and sparring.


Saturday was not a good day for the Black Belt Neeleman Family.


Robee got half way through his form and then blanked out. Once you blank out, it's hard to get the rhythm again. He pretty much tanked.


Felix blanked at the end of her form and so she was toast.


Thomas did part of his form twice (which he wasn't supposed to do) and so tanked.


Now it's up to me, last of the BBN, to bring home the trophy. I only had three other women in my group. Piece of cake.


Start my form, doing good. Finding my stride. Looking okay. Got the side hook kick down. Then ... I turn the wrong way. I find myself turned completely around and had to stop and wait until my brain could figure out how to recover from this horrible position.


I had been cursed.


I came in fourth out of four. Sucks.


However, I did okay in sparring. I took second. So it wasn't all bad.


We have two more tournaments before the end of the season. They can be really fun but tiring. We were exhausted yesterday and today it's still hanging around.
Yeah for martial arts!

No comments: