Monday, December 13, 2010

Lights, camera ..........

The house is done. I've actually added a giant 9 foot penguin and lights on the large pine tree in the front. "Tacky" the Penguin (no pun intended) replaced a snowman that would not stay standing when inflated so he's going out.


Sadly, I took this pic with a small sad camera since I killed my lovely one in Puerto Rico. *sigh* It was the best I could do.

I was trying to get lights up on the tallest part of the roof, where our picture windows sit. However, after straining with a 20 foot ladder plus an 11 foot light helper I made, I finally gave up. I know it would look great but I'm just not willing to become a quadriplegic for Christmas lights.


I'm a supremely lazy person. So lazy that almost EVERY light in the house is on a timer. It comes on when I want and goes off when I want.

Ditto for the lights. THIS year I'm thrilled because we finally got power to the other panel of the front fence (left of the pic) so I can have lights running all the way down our property. Spectacular! Also on timers. I'm hoping for next year to get an outlet on the other side so I don't have to run an extension cord all the way to the house.

I put lights around the front windows (to make up for not putting any on the roof) and it was on a timer too.

But what to my wondering eyes should appear???? Clyde, ripping the timer from the wall of the house with the lights still attached and then chewing into small pieces. Oh that he could have been zapped, just a tad. Grrrr.

So now I'm waiting for Thomas to help me install a metal box that covers the outlet. By that time, it will be March.

I was growling to myself as I was trying to gently place lights on the pine tree, that this was ridiculous and too hard and I'm going to quit. But then I thought "If it were easy, everyone would do it" and I look around my neighborhood. Out of 149 homes, only 10 or so have decorations. I drive into town ... same thing. I miss the days when all the houses would be happily lit. I remember my mom and dad would say on weekends "Okay! Let's go for a ride and look at lights!" and we would pile in the station wagon and go to a different neighborhood each time to see what everyone else had put on their homes.

I've been doing the lights on our house since I married Thomas. I remember putting lights up with Angie while Felix was napping at six months. I started doing the lights at my parents' house when my dad got sick; I couldn't stand not having lights for Christmas. My favorite are blue lights at night; they have such a glow about them.

So hopefully if the d*** back holds out (massage therapy starting again in January) and I don't actually die taking them down, I'll be doing this for a long time.

Maybe even ... the high roof. If I tie myself off on the chimney with a rope, I might be able ....

No comments: