Monday, March 30, 2009

Tournament again!! In Oregon

Another weekend, another TKD tournament. This time it was in Cottage Grove Oregon, a hefty 6 hour drive from our house. Ugh. It shouldn't be but the traffic through Seattle, Olympia, Portland make it so.

Felix did the best this time. I'm so proud of her. Her ring is the 11-13 yr old 1st Degree Black Belts. Every girl in this ring are from Oregon and all know each other. And they're mean, mean fighting machines. Seriously. I would not want to meet on a lighted street let alone a dark one. They'll kick you from here into tomorrow if they had the chance. They're forms too, are mean and precise. Good blocks, punches, kicks, etc.

So Felix typically does very poorly in this group. She has my competitive spirit ... which basically equals nothing. She needs to have my sister as her mom. Lisa is very competitive and would train her right. Unfortunately, I didn't do such a great job in that area. Oh well.

However, when they were calling out the winners for the various competitions, lo and behold! Felix got 3rd in Forms! Even with seven girls in her ring. She was a shocked as I was! I was trying to keep track of the points that each competitor was getting but I'm just not a good enough "Soccer Mom" to write those things down (and believe me; MANY parents write down every one's score to compare it to their childs' score. Can't do it). So I was totally surprised when she won. And totally proud. And she was proud of herself too and felt like she wasn't such a loser anymore like she has been for the past eight months. Her ring is a bit more tough than it used to be and this was very good for her psyche.

Felix holding her well deserved Trophy!! (with her DS stylus in her mouth)


Robee didn't place but he's already state champ for last year so he didn't really care. Thomas placed 2nd in both Forms and Sparring and I placed 3rd in Weapons and 3rd in Sparring.

Robee in the back during our road trip. He has my ipod while playing his DS. Technology makes kids stop looking out the window but it can make the trip not as grueling.


So our next and last competition for the season is April 25. I also have a Instructor Camp next weekend to test for my Instructor's License. A bit nervous about that but it'll be okay.



This is a pic of the Portland Temple. I tried to get one of the Angel Moroni but He was going by too quickly.

No comments: