Sunday, August 3, 2008

OUR STATE FAIR IS A GREAT STATE FAIR!

Ok. So it's not the STATE fair. But it is a Fair just the same.

It's Fair season folks: time to break out the goats and polish off those boots.

Felix attended her first fair of the year in Silvana. For those of you not familiar with our area, Silvana is a small town located southwest of our bigger (but also small town) town of Arlington. It's a bit closer to Puget Sound and has two forks of the Stilliguamish River (major river of this area) running on both sides of the town.

The fair is tiny; held only one day but it's a good place to get back into fair mind when showing goats (or whatever animal happens to be in your yard) and remembering all those things that may help you to get that coveted Overall Champion ribbon.

We have two goats now; an Angora named Lili and a Pygora named Tootsie. A pygora is a cross between an Angora and a Pygmy goat. They are small like the Pygmies but have the mohair (fiber or hair) like the Angoras.


This is what my lovely Landcruiser does now; hauls animals. This is Lili (white, horned goat) and Tootsie (black goat) riding in the back of my car on the way to fair. I'm thinking the entire time, "Please don't poop or pee in my car. Please." They must have heard me because they were angels. They actually made less of a mess than the two dogs I usually have back there.




Lili, wondering to herself, "What the Sam Hill is going on around here? Where's my grain and where are you taking me now? Am I going to be a gyro?"

Felix, receiving a Reserve Champion for Tootsie in Fit and Show. This is where you show the judge how well you and your goat get along. This is where Felix must somehow show the judge that she spends a lot of time with her beloved goat, treating her like it was her twin. This is also where Felix is really going to have to pull the "mohair" over the judge's eyes because she hasn't spent more than four days working with this goat. And Pygoras tend to be a bit stubborn and difficult to maneuver if they don't want to be maneuvered.

This Felix and her babies, going to fair. She had to sit in the back with them to keep them calm. Of course, on the way there, she fell asleep. (This is out of order I know. Sorry)














And this is me. Well not me exactly but me filming the back of my car whilst driving to the fair and singing (or screeching since it was so early) my version of "Green Acres" to the goats. I believe one of them bleated their distaste of my singing. Possible. But they're my prisoners and must listen to me sing if they want a ride in my car.

You're probably wondering how I took this video if I was driving. I'm wondering the same thing.

No comments: