Thursday, July 21, 2011

Trying to find summer

It’s been really hard. This summer has been almost non-existent. Even the locals are having a hard time with this rainy, cool weather.


Our typically wonderful Strawberry Festival was a bit of a bust. The parade came through but the picking and selling and eating of strawberries was delayed and sadly not as wonderful as it had been during our past years of June.


Luckily for about a week, there was some warmer weather with sun during the first week of July and people were able to get out and harvest their berries then. And just as suddenly as the sun came out, it hid it’s warm face behind the clouds again.


So, while we had family visiting for a bit, we tried to make the best of it and pretend it was warm and sunny and warm and sunny (yes, I’m quite aware I repeated myself). I guess I’m still part desert rat; I don’t mind this weather during the fall and winter but my bones really do need that hot, bright sun to get me ready for the next season to come. August is our next great hope, because after that is my least favorite month and season, September and autumn, and then school starts and the kids and I will be sad not to have been able to soak up a little summer sun, swim at our wonderful Stilly River, and lounge at Jetty Island. Very sad indeed.


bluberries


Blueberries trying to gain their color.



green zuchini



One tiny zucchini trying it’s best to grow nice and big for bread.







veggie loving dog


This dog (Porter) ate the first large zucchini in the garden. This is problem of having a vegetarian dog.



kids at beachKids at Kayak Point beach. When I told Max that we were going to the beach for some play time and beach combing, he promptly donned his swimsuit ready for the surf. He is not used to our beaches and water, which even in the warmest summer days, do not hit higher than about 60 degrees. He was a tad disappointed.



kids climbing











We will keep praying and wishing and hoping for our very late summer to finally come. Until then, hoodies and wellies are always waiting by the door.

No comments: