Saturday, July 30, 2011

It won't kill him

Once upon a time, we were moving from St Geo to Long Beach Washington. Angie had just left for her year at college in Seattle and thankfully had helped me pack a bunch of boxes. However, we still had the entire house with furniture to move into the trailer and moving truck. Felix was six and Robee, four. We had no one to help us except a homeless man named Eldon, who we now think was Jesus because out of all the people in neighborhood and church, he was the ONLY one to come to our aid. We did pay him since he was homeless, but I know he would have done it without pay since he was that kind of guy.

Anyway here we are - Thomas, Eldon and myself - trying to move rooms of furniture and boxes of stuff for three days straight. And what of my little children, Felix and Robee? I plopped them down in front of the TV and had them watch "Little Mermaid" and whatever other Disney movies we had on hand. And to eat? Felix had Kentucky Fried Chicken pretty much every day and Robee had Apples, Cheese and Fishy Crackers. Every day. For three days. For three meals.

Did I feel guilty? Probably not. I was so tired and frustrated trying to pack that I was grateful that they had something to eat that they liked. Did it kill them? Nope. They were fine.

Why tell this story? Because for the last month, Robee has been having this for at least two meals during the day, at least everyday:
Strawberry Shortcake.

For some reason, he has become obsessed with eating Strawberry Shortcake. And I have to make it a certain way, with a certain type of shortcake, with a certain type of whip cream each time. He's lucky we had such a late strawberry season since there are still plenty of fresh ones to be bought.

Will it kill him, eating the same thing everyday? Doubtful. I have discovered that sometimes kids want to eat only certain things for a period of time. It used to freak me out, thinking they weren't getting something important in their diet or getting too much of something else. Luckily, kids' systems are a lot smarter than us and they will regulate themselves.

At some point in time, he will get tired of this wonderful dessert but until then, I know one of our memories of his life will be the Summer of Strawberry Shortcakes. I love him for that.

1 comment:

Emilee said...

that sounds delicious! I wish I could eat that for 2 meals a day! If only I was his age again :)