Thursday, July 7, 2011

Balls, anyone??

This is what I did yesterday:

pigeon dirty feet

 

This looks gross. This sounds gross. This is gross.

But it has to be done.

Each winter while walking on a damp floor, the pigeons get a buildup of wet goo which then form into balls

on their talons and toes. It’s quite hard not to have this happen since we have very wet winters here.

So once it gets nice again and the wet dries up, these balls harden on their toes and makes it a little hard for them to walk around. I can hear them clanking around on their perches when they land.

I then, since somehow I’ve evolved into some sort of pigeon clean feetpigeon-handler, have to (when I have an hour) take a pair of pliers and break open these “poop balls” and free their little toes. Sounds appealing, does it not? I would say not.

I will say though, that there is little comfort on my end. Even if I walk into the coop with "bird handler" mentality, the birds don't see it. I'm in there thinking, "as soon as the pigeons notice that their friend's toes are free, they'll come flocking to me, all wanting to have their poop balls removed. Lining UP, even, for this wonderful service." This is what I was thinking.

Yeah right. Felix and Thomas have this gift of being able to catch birds but it didn't fall to me. I'm in the coop, trying my best to be sneaky so that they don't know I'm trying to catch them. Guess what? They're not that stupid. I jumped and scurried and leaped and grabbed for a half an hour while they were all just barely escaping my grasp. I actually ended up with a scratch on my head and several on my arm from their talons as they were flying wildly around the coop. I'll probably end up with some sort of pigeon-scratch fever or ... even better ... bird DNA will penetrate my body and I will finally grow wings and fly.

At least we all got some exercise.

But it makes the bird feel so much better, so I guess it’s worth a little discomfort on my end for a bit of relief on their end.

The best thing is that I only have to do this once a year. The worst thing is that I forgot to wear my gloves. Ugh. Next time.

No comments: