Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Until we meet again …

Monday, April 2nd – Our last day. After freezing our tuchus’ off on Saturday and a bit-warmer Sunday, New York on Monday, dawned with sunny skies to bid us off it’s shores. We were sad to go, but a bit ready to sleep in our own beds and stop walking at a horse-race speed for a time. This day was for packing, checking out and a quick (and I do mean quick) trip to The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.

A story to share: Many years ago, we were stationed at Langley AFB in Virginia. It’s a short trip to New York, so Mom and Dad hauled our 31 foot trailer hooked to our yellow station wagon and drove the few hours to New York, Jamestown and then up to Palmyra to see (what was called at that time) the Mormon Miracle Pageant and the historical Mormon sites, such as Carthage Jail.

I can still remember Daddy driving patiently and without reserve through the busy streets of downtown New York, hauling that massive trailer behind us. We had to have looked every bit like the Beverly Hillbillies to those locals. We had every – I mean EVERY – taxi honking at us for blocking streets and taking our time as we gazed at all the wonders of New York. I’m amazed we made it out of there without a bullet in the side of the station wagon. Daddy was never unnerved by all the yelling though. He just drove.

We either didn’t have the money or the time (I don’t know which) to take the ferry out to the Statue of Liberty, so we peered at it from the mainland. However, due to the fact at that time, my parents had no idea I had the vision of a bat, I could never see the Statue. Everyone else in the car was oooing and aahing over this wonderful woman and me …. well I kept saying, “I can’t see it! Where is it?” They, being the understanding-type of family said, “Oh you can too see it! You’re just being difficult” or something to that effect. Truth is, I really never could see the statue. With vision at 20/800, it’s hard to see most things, let alone a statue that’s on a tiny island in the sound. So I never saw her.

Fast forward 40 years – Finally. She and I have a chance to meet. I wish I could tell Mom about this; she would laugh. I did call Daddy while I was on the ferry and told him that I finally got to see the Statue. He laughed for the both of them.

P4020258 P4020259P4020260

Good Morning New York! 1) My view from my window, looking down on Madam Tussauds Wax Museum. 2) Sunny skies for our goodbye day. 3) The brown water-looking towers are just that: water towers. Due to the way the city sits, builders found that there was never enough water pressure for the tall skyscrapers. So they started putting water towers on ALL the high buildings. They’re on every building. They also found that wood makes the water taste the best, so metal is never used and to hide the “look” of the wood water tower, many buildings have clever designs covering them.

Picture 095Picture 0961)Picture 097 Yeah. Felix HAD to have her pic taken in front of Johnny Depp’s wax picture. I could understand if it was … say … Neil Diamond. But oh well. Kids these days. 2) This is/was a sculpture that sat in front of one of the World Trade Centers. When excavating had started, the workers found this with the top crushed in from a beam but really no other damage. It sits in a park on the way to the ferries. 3) This is the entrance to the ferry dock to go to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty.

Picture 100

Yep. And there she is. This picture is so good, I’m making a poster out of it.

P4020268Picture 103

This is the tiniest island. Zoom in and one can see the line of people waiting to visit. No way are we doing that. On to Ellis. 2) Me (looking a tad like a bobble-head) in front of the Statue. Hi Mom!Picture 110 P4020269 Coming up to Ellis Island. This was actually more amazing than the Statue as far as impact. She was beautiful, make no mistake. But this place … to walk on the same floor as 22 million immigrants did … step up the same stairs … touch the walls. It was heart wrenching. Picture 109New York City Skyline.

Five days in New York and back home we go. Goodbye Big Apple. I’ve got one more kid who wants to go. See you again in a couple of years.

No comments: